Welcome to Mommy (and Daddy) Lingo!

Hi and thanks for visiting this site. As a mother of 3 I've said some pretty odd stuff over these past 10 years and thought it would be fun to write a bunch of them down.



And now, with the encouragement of my brother, I'd like to share some of these unconventional, yet practical, phrases. Enjoy!


Thursday, January 6, 2011

"Honey, you're sitting in pizza,"

said my mother-in-law, in a slow southern drawl, to my niece. Since beginning this blog I have, at times, become desensitized to some of the strange things I say to my children and don't even think to write some stuff down, but when I hear someone else utter oddities I immediately perk up and take note. It was day 4 of Disney World and we're back at the hotel. Another long, but fun, day of riding and walking. The adults are all worn out but the children have somehow found their 2nd or 3rd wind and just seem to keep on going. Grandma is watching the kids play and eat when she casually makes this observation. I hear it and just laugh. Then my husband laughs. She looks over and asks what is so funny. When I repeat what she had just said she takes a moment to process how peculiar that must have sounded and begins giggling as well. Maybe we were just tired or maybe we were just feeling silly, but that made for a good reminder of how differently we talk to kids and how indifferent we can become to it.

Take a moment to think about what you've said to your kids today....

No comments:

Post a Comment