Welcome to Mommy (and Daddy) Lingo!

Hi and thanks for visiting this site. As a mother of 3 I've said some pretty odd stuff over these past 10 years and thought it would be fun to write a bunch of them down.



And now, with the encouragement of my brother, I'd like to share some of these unconventional, yet practical, phrases. Enjoy!


Wednesday, August 25, 2010

"Oh, that's just me wiping Ranch off a pillow."

As I've mentioned, I have a brother. He's the one who suggested I start writing down all the weird things I say to my kids. He's actually the one who made me see that what I was saying really was weird. So then I became more aware of what came out of my mouth. But apparently regarding only to what I say to young folks. So when he called the other day and we were chatting he was distracted by what he was hearing on the other line. Finally he said to me, "What is that noise?" So I casually replied, not really thinking that what I was doing was in any way odd. He paused, let out a slight chuckle/sigh, and proceeded to tell me that I was a weirdo and that 'normal' people don't do and say the things that I do. I countered with a yes, in fact, there is a whole world out there where people are constantly doing and saying things that sound crazy but actually have a very specific meaning and purpose. Those people are called 'parents.' He met that with a haughty "Whatever. Weirdo." And we resumed our conversation. Time passed and I had kind of forgotten about the whole conversation, until I was outside talking to my neighbor. I had a scrub brush in one hand and some cleaner in the other and so she asked what I was about to do. Once again in a casual manner, I answered her question: "Oh, I'm about to clean sunscreen off the windows." As I turned to work on my project, I caught a glimpse of the confused expression on her face. Then the whole 'whatever weirdo' discussion came flooding back. I just laughed as I cleaned (which, thinking back, might have looked a bit odd as well...) and wondered if maybe, perhaps, I was a weirdo...

No comments:

Post a Comment