Welcome to Mommy (and Daddy) Lingo!

Hi and thanks for visiting this site. As a mother of 3 I've said some pretty odd stuff over these past 10 years and thought it would be fun to write a bunch of them down.



And now, with the encouragement of my brother, I'd like to share some of these unconventional, yet practical, phrases. Enjoy!


Tuesday, April 20, 2010

"Do you think he likes it when you put your toe up his nose?"

Talk about a rhetorical question! This was followed by the inevitable, "How would you like it? Don't you think that might bother you?" As a parent, it's almost painful sometimes to have to ask these questions, but you know that they are a necessary part of 'teaching a lesson' so you take a breath, and ask the obvious, right? I don't think I need to finish the play-by-play - we've all been there and will be back there countless times. In fact, I am fully aware that these questions will continue way into the teenage years and beyond - on even a more painful level, I'm sure. Which actually reminds me of a story my husband had told me years ago about when his dad asked him one of these queries: Hubby and friend, both in the teen years, thought it a good idea to sit in their car and throw eggs at houses. Surprisingly, someone didn't like it, called the cops, cops called parents, teenage hubby waits for dad to arrive. Dad gets there, talks to cops, smooths things over, takes hubby home. It's 4am, sitting at kitchen table, mom is crying and dad looks at hubby and asks, "What were you thinking?!" A little exasperated himself, he comes back with "I wasn't! I'm 16."

I guess you take the risk of getting an answer when you ask your child a question, any question at any age.

No comments:

Post a Comment