Welcome to Mommy (and Daddy) Lingo!

Hi and thanks for visiting this site. As a mother of 3 I've said some pretty odd stuff over these past 10 years and thought it would be fun to write a bunch of them down.



And now, with the encouragement of my brother, I'd like to share some of these unconventional, yet practical, phrases. Enjoy!


Tuesday, February 9, 2010

"Now! Grab the penguin!"

Oh, this one makes me chuckle mostly because of the great excitement that went with it. And maybe also because I keep thinking about how strange it would have sounded had someone been passing by and heard me say this. Not that that could have happened because the incident occurred in my bathroom while I was taking a shower and that would have just been strange in itself. But I digress...

So my daughter was being assaulted by her little brother's plastic penguin that was being manipulated by my little guy himself, while I was taking a shower. One minute, they were happily playing and the next came some screams. Now, my husband and I have been encouraging our daughter to take control of the situation when her little brother does something to upset her (he thinks it's all a big hoot). So I poked my head out and reminded her that it would be more effective if she addressed the issue rather than just stood there and yelled. She agreed, took a deep breath and told him to stop it. Surprisingly, he didn't. She knew she had to turn things up a notch so she told him that if he didn't stop she would take it from him. He didn't. "Do something," I recommended. That was all she needed. She took one step toward him and, with a determined look on her face, demanded that he give it to her. I guess that was all he needed too because he immediately dropped the penguin right where he was standing. But then I noticed a faint smile on his lips and wasn't sure exactly what that meant, so that's when I excitedly cheered her on as she swooped down and grabbed that rascal. You go girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment